Grief may be a thing we all have in common, but it looks different on everyone.
It isn't just death we have to grieve. It's life. It's loss. It's change.
And when we wonder why it has to suck so much sometimes, has to hurt so bad. The thing we gotta try to remember is that it can turn on a dime.
That's how you stay alive. When it hurts so much you can't breathe, that's how you survive.
By remembering that one day, somehow, impossibly, you won't feel this way. It won't hurt this much.
Grief comes in its own time for everyone, in its own way.
So the best we can do, the best anyone can do, is try for honesty.
The really crappy thing, the very worst part of grief is that you can't control it.
The best we can do is try to let ourselves feel it when it comes.
And let it go when we can.
The very worst part is that the minute you think you're past it, it starts all over again.
And always, every time, it takes your breath away.
There are five stages of grief. They look different on all of us, but there are always five.
Denial. Anger. Bargaining. Depression. Acceptance.
This was taken from the Grey's anatomy season premiere. This was a very touchy season premiere for me...in many ways....this in particular. They did a great job at showing different people grieving differently. It is all very true.
I will never let go of Dave, I will never forget him. Moving forward is not about forgetting. He helped form who i am and what I have! There are days when i feel truly happy and that I have it all together. Then an innocent work glove and box gets unpacked and the neatly tidy Darcy falls to pieces. It takes me right back to the moment where I held him, watched him try and tell me that he loved me, watched him take the last breaths; where I told him i knew he loved me, told him that I will be okay, the boys would be okay, and that he could go. I told him I would be okay. I take in the moment of grief and slowly start picking myself back up. Wiping the tears, packing the box back up and remembering the wonderful man who I was married too. Then I turn to the future, the boys, new love, new hope; and I smile, laugh and feel the joy. The joy that Dave wanted me to have.
I was blessed, I am blessed and I continue to be blessed.
2 comments:
Beautifully written Darcy!
This post was breath taking. Thank you.
Post a Comment