I am going to start by saying that this is my opinion and reaction to what I have seen. I am not saying that any one is out right wrong but there can be so much finger pointing and criticism that we often forget what the conversation should be about.
I have seen Facebook plastered with varying forms of commentary of Christianity and Fifty shades of grey. I will fully admit I am a Christian and I will fully admit that I read all three books. For literature they were nothing special. They did not leave me feeling like I read the greatest novel of this century and they certainly did not leave me wanting to re-enact them in my bedroom. I will most likely not see the movie but on the flip side I do not pick movies lightly.
One of the most common themes of this debate is that no Christian should watch this movie because you can not unsee what you watch. I agree with this but then put it into place for every movie not just in the context of this movie. What about the half dressed women in action movies, the comedy that pokes fun of the sanctity of marriage or the sex scenes in other movies that go too far like Monsters Ball or academy award winning Monster; Why are these movies okay? Why can we justify them? Do they not go against our Christian values or morals or is it just okay because they are blatant about it?
Another thread is that these books and this movie will not help your marriage. Don't get me wrong I believe that it won't help your marriage. Just like I don't believe fictional stories like Cinderella would help my marriage. Marriage is not based on a work of fiction; it is hard work. It takes effort to build and maintain. I hear at a lot of Marriage conferences or seminars: MARRIAGE IS HARD WORK, IT IS NOT A FAIRY TALE. So why does this work of fiction have any more precedence for helping a marriage. Here is a conversation starter.Why can't we make suggestions or offer support? Why is sex and marriage so taboo in the church? There are many things to offer...
If Older Christians are worried about marriages and the marriages of our generation then invest in the couple. If they can't afford sitters offer to take their kids so they can go to Christian marriage seminars, go to counsellors or on a date to focus on each other. Or for the church to really talk about sex as God intended it. There is so much lacking for Christian couples on sex. There are so many marriages that need support and teaching on sex but the church does it address it. It doesn't have to be dirty or disgusting but it does need to happen.
The thing not to do is criticize. Tell them how bad they are for seeing a movie. Instead start a real conversation about the entire movie culture (and literature culture) and its effect our our values, moral compass and our marriages.
This is not the first generation to have literature like this... How many harlequin romance novels are out there? How many grazed the night stand of a christian woman? How many of those women justified those novels? What was the conversation then?
It is easy to point a finger at 50 shades of grey. It is easy to say how sinly it is. But I believe that our loving God would not want is throwing the stones or pointing fingers but instead removing the plank from our own eye and helping his fellow children of God find the way to him. I don't feel that my God finds me less deserving because I read the books but he is walking this journey with me. He is my only judge and jury. He leads my path and all my choices. I choose to not see the movie but embrace the conversation.
1 comment:
Great read.
Post a Comment