Monday, May 21, 2012

When did that happen...

I became an adult.

There are many moments and ages to which you can associate becoming an adult. Turning 18, being able to vote, owning your first car, having your first full-time job, living on your own but really when does it happen.  It happens in the blink of an eye.

I have had many amazing life moments but I often wonder when I went from being a carefree teenager with her head in the clouds waiting for "life" to happen to being an adult...one responsible for other lives.  I don't know the exact moment but I do know it happened.  I look at all the typical society markers of becoming an adult but I don't see them as the moment that I became an adult.  Does that mean that it is the accumulation of all of the events. Is it the combination of the joyous moments as well as the dark dreary moments.

There are days I sometimes wish I could go back to the carefree moments of my teen years. Where my parents were there to support me, catch me, help me make decisions. Now I am the parent, the one who worries, who mends the owie's, snuggles and rubs their back when they are sick, who helps them make decisions.  It has come full circle. I now feel what my parents felt for me years ago and maybe being an adult isn't so bad.

No comments: